HMS Agincourt - TemeraireWiki

HMS Agincourt

From TemeraireWiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Ship History

A 64 gun third rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, launched on 23 July 1796 at Blackwall. She was bought from the East India Company in 1796, where she had been called Earl Talbot.

Prior to the Battle of Dover in 1805, she was part of the Channel Fleet. Stationed just off Ushant, she participated in the British blockade of the port at Brest, France, under the command of Captain Briggs as part of Admiral Lord Gardner's fleet.

She was decommissioned in 1809 and converted to a prison ship in 1812, before being broken up in 1814.

Ship Data

Ship builder: Perry, Blackwall
Launched: 23 July 1796
Fate: Sold, 1814
Class: 64-gun third rate ship of the line
Tons burthen: 1439 tons (1462.1 tonnes)
Length: 172 ft 8 in (52.6 m) (gundeck)
Beam: 43 ft 4 in (13.2 m)
Hold depth: 19 ft 9 in (6.0 m)
Sail plan: Full rigged ship
Complement: 584 officers and men
Armament: 64 guns of various weights of shot
Personal tools